24 Oct Fire prevention
October is National Fire Prevention Month!
As liability claims have skyrocketed, home owner’s insurance companies are becoming better resources for educating home owners about potential dangers around their homes. As the saying goes, an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure! In that spirit, Liberty Mutual recently posted an article to alert homeowners to efforts they can make in and around their home to reduce the risk of a home fire.
Here is a teaser list of reminders:
- Keep anything that can burn at least three feet from your furnace or any other heating unit.
- Maintain a three-foot kid-free zone around open fires and space heaters, and never use your oven to heat your home.
- Turn off portable heaters when leaving the room or going to bed.
- Have heating equipment and chimneys inspected and cleaned yearly.
- Use a sturdy screen to stop fireplace embers from flying into the room.
- Let ashes cool before putting them into a metal container a safe distance from your home.